Mention Intermittent Fasting and you'll probably find someone who's on it or has tried it. It is a diet where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting. There are many benefits to intermittent fasting, including weight loss, improved mental clarity, and reduced inflammation.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Fasting is not a new concept. The Catholics abstain from meat on Fridays. The Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan. The ancient Greeks fasted every fourth day of the month.
Intermittent fasting, or IF, is a dieting strategy where you restrict your caloric intake to certain windows of time each day. The goal is to help you lose weight without feeling deprived and to improve your overall health. There are many different types of IF, but the most common involves fasting for 16 hours every day and then eating during an eight-hour window. This type is great for people who want to lose weight or manage their diabetes because it allows them to eat a balanced diet without having to worry about their calorie intake.
Another type is the 12/12 fasting which involves fasting for 12 hours and eating for 12 hours. This type is perfect for people who want to improve their mental clarity because it allows them to fast without feeling tired or hungry.
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
There are many benefits to intermittent fasting, beyond just weight loss. Intermittent fasting has been shown to improve blood sugar control, reduce inflammation, boost cognitive function, and even protect against disease. Beyond these individual benefits, intermittent fasting as a whole is linked with a slew of systemic health improvements. These include improvements in overall metabolic health and decreased risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and type 2 diabetes.
7 Tips for a Healthy Intermittent Fasting
There are many benefits to intermittent fasting, including weight loss, improved mental clarity, and reduced inflammation. If you've been hearing about intermittent fasting but hesitate because of any number of reasons, here are seven specific tips to help you feel great while fasting:
1. Fasting should be comfortable for you. If you find that fasting makes your stomach feel uncomfortable or causes headaches, try switching to a shorter fast or increasing the frequency of your meals instead. Alternatively, start slowly and gradually increase fasting time over the course of a few weeks.
2. Make sure to drink plenty of water and avoid drinking sugary drinks during your fast. Not only will these drinks contain unnecessary calories, but they will also dehydrate you and cause headaches.
3. Make sure to get enough rest and exercise during your fasted period to maintain energy levels and promote healthy weight loss. Exercise can help to burn calories and improve mental clarity while fasting.
4. Make sure to take breaks throughout the day to eat small snacks and drinks to avoid feeling overwhelmed or uncomfortable during fasting.
5. Avoid eating large meals before bedtime to avoid feeling exhausted the next day. Eating a light dinner will help you to fall asleep faster and wake up feeling refreshed.
6. Eat healthy fats and proteins during your fast to make sure you're feeling full and adequately satiated. Try including high-quality sources like lean meat, fish, eggs, or tofu in your meals throughout the day instead of relying on one big meal. 0.36 grams per pound of body weight during your fasted period is what's recommended.
7. Finally, be patient and stay positive. Fasting can be challenging at first, but with a bit of patience and knowing that it can be an effective way to improve your health is key to incorporating this as a lifestyle.
Intermittent fasting is a great way to lose weight, improve your mental clarity, and reduce inflammation. Following these tips will help you get the most out of your intermittent fasting experience.